Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mommyrexia

There is a new obsession brewing in the pregnant community. 

Women - terrified of gaining weight during their pregnancy - so will follow draconian diets and exercise regimens to keep their pregnancy weight gain 'to a minimum'. It's called Mommyrexia and was covered this morning on the Today show.

Supposedly it's a growing trend among the pregnant socialites in the Upper East Side of Manhattan. (Seriously? They don't work; they don't contribute to society; so their looks is all they have to worry about. Go figure.) Personally, I've come to terms with the inevitable weight gain during pregnancy. In fact, I've resigned to the notion that a few kilos will be added to 'my number' - and guess what? I am okay with that. Too little weight gained during pregnancy can actually cause a host of problems for the baby, so why risk it? (Granted, too MUCH weight gain poses its own threats.) For me, I'll be happy if I don't go over the 40-pound mark. (For those avid followers of mine keeping track of my weight gain, I am currently at the halfway mark!) You do the math. Physicians say gaining anywhere between 25-35 pounds is considered healthy. And if I end up going slightly over, which, I think I will, then that's okay, too. As long as I don't really lose control and go overboard, I'll be fine. A little sensibility coupled with reality - that's the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment