Sunday, August 28, 2011

Labor and Delivery 101

Joe and I attended a Labor and Delivery class yesterday held by two charge nurses at Winnie Palmer called newmom2b. The course was an all day event. We were introduced to the different stages of labor, how to identify true labor pains versus false labor pains, pain relief medications, which by the way am reassured to know Winnie Palmer has a 24/7 anesthesia department so there will ALWAYS be access to an epidural - YEAH! They also explained vaginal delivery versus a Cesarean delivery and reasons why a doctor will call to have the latter. We learned different breathing techniques: 'Breathe in, 2, 3, 4...breathe out 2, 3, 4.' This is the method I prefer because it uses diaphragmatic breathing versus the shallow type of breathing: 'Hee hee, ho ho.' 

At the start of the class, we were asked to go around the room, sharing our different fears. Joe said he doesn't have any except the delivery. WHAT? What do YOUUUU have to do during the delivery process my dear hubby? I'm the one who has to push a baby out of a 10cm hole thankyouverymuch. I actually said "What about delivery are YOU afraid of?" in front of the class. What on earth could frighten him. I on the other hand have a very valid reason to be terrified of D-Day. I know when the time comes, I think I will handle it okay, but it's the build-up/anticipation leading up to the moment of, "Honey, we need to go to the hospital NOW." I pray I have an easy delivery and Baby Boy G comes out healthy and safe. No complications, please.

All in all, it was a good class. Very informative and I feel more at ease with understanding the labor and delivery process. Our next class is Basic Infant Care and Post-Natal Breastfeeding. We're getting ready for you, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment